Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Darn that Johnny Depp...

Ok, so something that would usually have been a bummer, turned into a good thing!  As you know, from a previous blog, I was all set to purchase Flavas Liam and thought he would make a great mate for my S.I.S. Chandra.

Well, I was purchasing him used/nude and after chatting with the owner, they mentioned his hair isn't perfect (failed to mention this in the ad).  Normally, that's not a big deal but this is a flock haired doll and I didn't know if I wanted to deal with fixing the hair and the possible trouble to find flock spray the color of his hair.

So, I decided against the doll and was nosing around the web and came across some flickr shots of customized Captain Jack Sparrow dolls and was hooked!  Not only is he spot on Johnny Depp...he's got the Harley Davidson Ken articulated body (minus the tattoo) I had to have him!!



The Jack Sparrow doll is awesome has a totally different look compared to all of my guy dolls so it was a no brainer.  ;)  As I've said before, I'm pretty happy with my selection of ladies but I've still been looking for a few good men, now I have one!  I still have about six other male dolls on my list, I'd like to give my ladies more options. ;)  Anyway, Johnny is set to arrive in eight - eleven business days.


TTFN

11 comments:

  1. i bought this doll and i was amazed when i got him! He is an awsome doll. Mattel did a great job but now i just wish mattel would give all the guys Harley kens body!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GASP! I'm so excited. I've been staring at this guy wondering what kind of body he has. Why doesn't Mattel love us collectors and tell us what we're working with? Johnny is on my list now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ William - Thank you for the comment, you've made me really happy with my decision to purchase him! :) I totally agree, I wish they would have done the same with the Japanese Ken because it's costing collectors so much more money to get what we want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Dani- Isn't he HOT?! I about fell out of my chair when I saw a nude version of him on eBay, that's how I found out he was articulated! Then went to flickr and saw all of these amazing customized Johnny's...it was all she wrote! :)

    There are some I didn't like, someone removed all of his beard and mustache...didn't work for me. By far, this person had the best customized job, in my opinion...check it out:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52211075@N07/5768316462/in/faves-53234941@N03/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Johnnny Depp. I can't wait to see what you do with him. You have a way with hair, so this should be interesting. Nice to see that both the Pirate dolls are so nicely articulated. This doll has such a beautiful face. I am not great with hair, so I fear I would just mess the poor guy up. I wonder how he looks with a ponytail?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Vanessa - I'm so excited about getting him! I'm really going to take my time removing the "dirt" and "scars" from his face. As for his hair, I imagine he's gonna look pretty hot with a ponytail. I think I'm going to boil wash him first and see how I feel after that...but I really like how the flickr user customized him with a shoulder length haircut. Dunno if I would be that brave but we'll see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trust me, we you see this doll he looks alot better then the prototype picture above! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got to tell my Mom about this one ...

    Then again, maybe not, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh and thanks! I heard about the JD doll, but it helps to have a collector's endorsement.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ordered him last week and cannot wait to get him!! I completely agree that all ken dolls need Harley Davidson bodies! Either that or I just need to buy more Fashion Royalty guys. I have 3 but I couldn't possibly have too many. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to had Jack Sparrow, too! I love him, he's very similar to real Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow. But I must waiting for any sales, him price is too much (for me). :)

    ReplyDelete